Regular skin care calls for using the right moisturizer for your skin. Moisturizer not only removes the dead skin cells, dirt and bacteria from your skin, but it also make your skin hydrated. Since moisturizer stays on your skin for extended periods of time, applying the wrong one can wreak pore-clogging, skin irritating havoc.
To avoid such skin breakouts, follow these tips to select the right moisturizer for you-
- Weather check
- Skin type
- Sun protection factor
- Read labels
- Check its scent
1. Weather check- The time of year that you shop for moisturizer influences what type you should buy. During summer, it may be better to lighten up on your daily skin care routine. In humid weather, avoid thick moisturizer as it may trigger seasonal breakouts. During chilly winters, buying a richer lotion is advisable to prevent your skin from drying out.
2. Skin type-First you need to know your skin type. Whether it is oily, dry or combination of both? Is it acne-prone or not? The answer to these questions will guide you to buy the right moisturizer for you. Mostly, skin care companies label their face lotions with the corresponding skin type.
3. Sun Protection Factor (SPF) - Sunscreen is a must. Check if the moisturizer has SPF in it or not. The ultraviolet rays (UVA and UVB) from the skin, takes away all the hydration from your skin leading to wrinkles, skin damage and possibly cancer. The sun protection factor protects your skin from premature aging and maintains a healthier appearance.
4. Read labels- The label on any skin product may seem completely unintelligible, but you can learn a lot from reading it closely. Check for moisturizer labeled “allergy tested”(less chances of causing allergic reactions) and “non-comedogenic”(less likely to clog pores).
5. Check its scent- The moisturizer will be applied next to your nose, so its scent is important. Take a whiff of the moisturizer before buying it. It is advisable to avoid any scented moisturizer with fragrance, if you have acne prone or sensitive skin.