Want to remain fit and healthy your whole life? Just walk. It’s free and easy to do. People of all ages and fitness levels can reap several health benefits from walking. It also aids in the prevention of certain illnesses.
You will be both emotionally and physically fit if you walk for at least 30 minutes every day. The benefits of walking are endless.
Just a walk in your nearby park with your walking shoes on can do wonders to your overall health. Here are some key benefits of walking-
- Burn calories
- Boosts your mood
- Live longer
- Eases joint pain
- Enhances creativity
- Boosts immunity
1. Burn calories- Walking assist in losing weight by burning calories. The number of calorie you burn depends on your walking pace and the distance you covered. A brisk 30-minute stroll burns about 200 calories. Regular walking increases your metabolism and also prevents muscle loss.
2. Boosts your mood- Studies have shown that walking helps in reducing anxiety, depression and negative mood. It also boosts self-esteem and reduces social withdrawal symptoms. While walking your body releases natural painkilling endorphins to the body which lightens up your mood.
3. Live longer- Brisk walking can extend your life. According to one study, walking at least 4 miles per hour lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer death. It improves your immunity system, reduces fatigue and also helps in controlling blood sugar level, which leads to improved quality of life.
4. Eases joint pain- Walking helps in lubricating and strengthening the muscles that support the joints. It protects knee and hip joints. It also benefits people living with arthritis. It increases the blood flow to the area surrounding joints. A study stated that walking around 5-6 miles can prevent arthritis.
5. Enhances creativity- If you ever want a solution to a work problem, Just walk. Walking may clear your head and help you think something creative. In a Stanford University study, researchers concluded that walking can actually boost up creative output by 60 per cent.
6. Boosts immunity- Walking increases the number of immune cells that attack pathogens in your body, which reduces the chances of falling sick from infectious diseases. In fact, even if you get sick, studies show that you will require less time to recover.