Every woman desires to have shiny and healthy looking nails. But, you tend to limit yourself to only regular manicures. However, here some nail care habits which will make your nails look amazing even without manicure.
Healthy nails require little bit of your time, not money. Your nails too need proper care and attention regularly. From nail polish to nail extensions, you try many things to make your nails look beautiful. So, why don’t you try these simple ways to give them extra care-
- Moisturize your nails
- Keep them dry and clean
- Don’t bite them
- Weather check
- Trim your nails
- Tame your cuticles
- Don’t scratch off nail polish
1. Moisturize your nails- Not only your skin, but also your nails need to be moisturized to stay healthy. Frequent washing takes away the nourishment from your nails. If your nails are dry, they are more likely to break. There are number of nail moisturizing products available in the market.
2. Keep them dry and clean- Avoid frequent washing, as excessive water contact weakens the nail structure. It can also lead to brittleness, peeling and breakage. While washing dishes, put your gloves on. Clean your nails regularly to prevent accumulation of dirt and bacteria under your nails.
3. Don’t bite them- Biting your nails damages your cuticles and causes infections. The saliva makes them weak and brittle. In addition, it makes them look pathetic and it transmits the dirt and germs in your mouth.
4. Weather check- When the weather changes, it causes some changes to your skin, hair and nails alike. Be it winter or summer, nails become extra brittle. Changing from a cool room to the outside air in the summer causes your nail cells to stretch and contract repeatedly, weakening the cells and causing breakage.
5. Trim your nails- Grow your nails to a certain length, as extra nail length is more likely to get damaged and break. Trim your nails on a regular basis. Shape your nails every two weeks by cutting and filing them. Use a fine file to smoothen the edges of your nails.
6. Tame your cuticles- You have to be careful while trimming them, as they are very delicate and get ruptured easily. Do not bite or pick the cuticles. Moisturize your cuticles with either coconut or almond oil and massage gently to nourish them. Dry cuticles can injure the nail bed which in turn affects your nail growth.
7. Don’t scratch off nail polish- Scratching off your nail polish makes the nail surface rough and patchy. It also damages the top layer of your nails. To avoid chipping off of nail polish on its own, apply nail paint in two rounds of thin coats. Instead of scratching off, use nail polish remover.