We all suffer from split ends, it is the most common hair issue and we have to deal with at one point or another. Split ends occur when the hair ends become dry, brittle and frayed.
Extensive use of hair styling tools like hair dryer, hair straightener, hair curler etc may also become a reason for hair split ends.
Although, the only way to get rid of split ends is to cut them off. But, you may prevent split ends from happening by trying these simple things-
- Gentle wash
- Hydrate your hair
- Reduce usage of heated appliances
- Avoid over brushing
- Avoid hot water
1. Gentle wash- Wet hair is prone to hair damage. Some of you might have a habit of drying your hair by rubbing them with a towel or a cotton cloth. This rubbing can cause hair breakage and can also damage your hair cuticles leading split ends to grow. Avoid rubbing your hair; instead try to dry them up with both a dryer and a towel.
2. Hydrate your hair- Dry hair is the main reason for almost all hair related issues. Keep your hair hydrated to prevent split ends. Try to use a hair mask once a week; it helps in reducing frizziness and dryness. It also helps in maintaining proper amount of moisture in your hair. You can use hair mask containing ingredients like- coconut oil, aloe vera, olive oil etc.
3. Reduce usage of heated appliances- Using heated appliances on regular basis can make your hair dry and fragile. Instead, let your hair air dry after washing and style them according to your need without using any hair styling tool. If not possible, apply some a heat protectant product on your hair before using any heated appliance.
4. Avoid over brushing- Don’t comb your hair frequently. Brushing your hair over and over can cause hair damage, including breakage and split ends. Brush or comb your hair without pulling or tugging it. Use your hand to detangle your hair instead straight up pulling down hair knots with your comb.
5. Avoid hot water- Hot water is not good for your hair. Try to wash your hair in lukewarm or cold water. Hot water damages the hair cuticles and makes your hair prone to breakage and split ends. Whereas, cold water helps in preventing dryness and split ends.