Healthy food can be expensive, and it becomes difficult to eat a balanced diet which includes fruits and vegetables when you’re on a tight budget.
But, eating on a tight budget doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice nutrition. It is not necessary to spend a lot of money to hit your dieting goals.
These inexpensive dieting tips can help you save money and also fulfill your nutrition goals-
- Plan your meals
- Cook at home
- Never go shopping when hungry
- Take advantage of sales
- Buy frozen fruits and veggies
1. Plan your meals- When you have to save money, planning ahead is essential. Before going to grocery shopping each week plan your meals for the upcoming week and make a grocery list. Only buy what you surely will use and check out what you already have. Consume items which are expiring first.
2. Cook at home- Avoid dining out, instead cook at home as it is a cheaper option. Make a habit to cook at home, rather than planning to dine out at last minute. While cooking at home, you can also look out for healthy ingredients to add in your meals.
3. Never go shopping when hungry- If you go for grocery shopping, when you’re hungry, you’re more likely to buy more things to eat than your grocery list. When you’re hungry, you often reach for processed foods which have fewer nutrients. Have a snack before you go for grocery shopping.
4. Take advantage of sales- Buy your favorite products when they are on sale. Buy products which you purchase frequently in large amount, it will cost you less. While purchasing them, also look out for their expiry date. You can also search for online coupons for the ingredients on your list.
5. Buy frozen fruits and veggies- Frozen and canned fruits and veggies can be a healthy alternative to fresh produce. They are cheap and also last longer than the freshly produced fruits and veggies. You can enjoy your favorite seasonal fruits and veggies all year long as they are often sold in large bags.