Ever wondered what all this keto diet is about? And what effect does this have on your overall health? This post will answer all of your questions.
Ketogenic Diet or commonly known as keto diet has been around since 1920s. It is a low carbohydrate and high fat diet. The aim of this diet is to get more calories from fat instead of carbohydrates.
Basically, it burns fat by cutting down carbs from your body. Carbs act as a fuel to your body. When you consume less carbs (lower than 50 grams) in a day, then your body eventually runs out of fuel. To get energy your body starts to break down protein and fat which in turn results in weight loss. This whole process is called as Ketosis.
Keto diet includes seafood, eggs, dairy products, green leafy vegetables, berries, nuts and seeds etc. Even dark chocolate and cocoa powder can also be added to your keto diet.
Let’s know why you should follow keto diet. Here, are some key benefits of keto diet-
- Encourages weight loss
- Decreases triglycerides level
- Relieves PCOS symptoms
- Controls Cholesterol level
- Insulin management
1. Encourages weight loss- Keto diet boosts up metabolic rate and reduces your appetite. The diet includes food which reduce hunger stimulating hormones. A low-carb diet helps in removing the excess water weight from your body. The diet cuts off calorie intake which in turn leads to weight loss.
2. Decreases triglycerides level- Triglycerides are fat molecules that increase chance of heart disease. Keto diet reduces the triglyceride levels. While, low-fat diet often causes triglycerides to increase. When you cut down your carb consumption, it often leads to reduction in triglycerides level.
3. Relieves PCOS symptoms- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder causing secretion of excess male hormones, ovulatory dysfunction, and polycystic ovaries. Weight gain and skin problem arises due to consumption of high-carb food for people with PCOS. Studies have shown that keto diet can improve hormone balance and promote weight loss.
4. Controls Cholesterol level- Low-carb and high-fat diet increases High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) level, which prevents heart diseases. While, it also reduces Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) in the blood which is correlated with improving heart health.
5. Insulin management- Cutting down your carb consumption lowers both blood sugar and insulin levels drastically. Keto diet serves as a natural and effective treatment of type 2 diabetes. Diabetics who begin a low-carb diet may need to reduce their insulin dosage by 50% almost immediately.