Keeping up a balance among work, home, health and friends can be difficult at times and can cause stress. Many people deal with stress every day.
Factors like genetics, level of social support, coping style and your personality type also influences your vulnerability to stress. It is important to control one’s stress level to live a healthy life.
Chronic stress harms health and increases chance of health conditions such as heart disease, anxiety and depression.
Here are some ways which can help you to control your stress level and calm your mind-
- Consistent physical activity
- Balanced diet
- Minimize screen time
- Practice Self-care
- Relaxation techniques
1. Consistent physical activity- Exercise is not only good for physical fitness, but also it has been shown to be a powerful stress reliever. Research has shown that regular physical activity helps in reducing stress levels and improves mood. Aerobics can be a good choice as it releases endorphins- which help you to maintain a positive attitude.
2. Balanced diet- Your diet also affects your mental health. Some people try to reduce stress by drinking alcohol or stress-eating. These actions can be harmful in the long run. Even, it is advised to avoid caffeine while in stress. Follow diet full of nutrients and minerals and limit ultra-processed food to regulate stress.
3. Minimize screen time- Usage of smart phones, television, computers has become a part of our daily life. However, the saying is true; too much of anything is not good. Spending too much in front of screen lowers your psychological well-being and increases stress level. Research has associated excessive smart phone use with increased stress level and mental health disorder.
4. Practice Self-care- Give yourself time. Devote sometime of your day to yourself by going out for a walk, reading a book, practicing a hobby etc. It will not only help in reducing stress but also improves quality of your life. Just some simple activities can benefit your mental health in many ways.
5. Relaxation techniques- You can also try relaxation techniques to manage stress and to protect your body from the effects of stress. Techniques like deep breathing, imagery, progressive muscle relaxation and mindful meditation can turn out to be a great escape from your stressful life.