We all want to be fit. But, we never know what to eat before or after a workout sessions. The food you eat before your workout affects your metabolism, performance and also aids in recovery etc.
Even going to gym empty stomach can distract you during your workout. Also, exercising on a full stomach is not a good idea. You need to eat the right amount of food at the right time, which is generally 30 to 45 minutes before you hit the gym.
Your body needs enough energy to exercise; this energy can be gained by consuming some easily digestible carbohydrate rich food. Here are some of the best pre workout healthy snacks you can try-
- Fruit and Greek Yogurt
- Trail Mix
- Protein Shake
1. Banana- It is known as nature’s power bar. It is full of carbohydrates and potassium, which supports nerve and muscle function. The carbs present in banana fuels up your body and brain. It is also a good source of antioxidants which may prevent muscle cramps.
2. Oats- It is the best choice for your morning pre workout snack. It is known to settle well and also a great source of energy. It is full of fiber and it releases carbohydrate gradually. The gradual release of carbohydrates helps to keep consistent energy level throughout your workout. You can also add some fruits to your oatmeal, to make it more nutritious.
3. Fruit and Greek Yogurt- You can eat plain greek yogurt with fruit before your workout. The fruit is full of healthy sugar which will help in quickly digesting carbs into your muscles for energy. On the other hand, greek yogurt is an ultimate source of protein. The protein is stored for longer and prevents muscle damage.
4. Trail Mix- If you are planning to gain muscle mass, then trail mix can turn to be the best pre workout snack for you. Although, nuts contain high-fat but they also provide protein and calorie. A handful of raisins give you a quick hit of energy. One aiming to lose weight should not have this as a pre workout snack.
5. Protein Shake- Protein serves as a powerhouse for overall development of the muscles, bones and even skin. It is the most popular pre workout snack. It also helps in maintaining muscle mass and aids in recovery. However, over consumption of protein shake can damage your kidney.