We all know that good quality sleep is vital to lead a healthy life. And poor sleep cycle negatively affects our brain and body too.
However, on some days we are unable to fall asleep which can be frustrating and have consequences for the next day. Although, there are medications available which induces sleep but they are not an ideal long-term solution.
Some of the natural methods to fall asleep quickly are avoiding screens before bedtime, reading book etc. Here are some suggestions to help you fall asleep faster-
- Lower the temperature
- Get a sleep schedule
- Switch off the lights
- Listen to relaxing music
- Avoid screen time
- Avoid caffeine
1. Lower the temperature- Your body cools down when you lie down and warms up when you get up. In that case, if your room is too warm, you might find difficult to fall asleep. Lower your room temperature according to your preference. Even taking a shower before going to your bed can help you fall asleep quickly.
2. Get a sleep schedule- You won’t believe but your body has its own regulatory system called the circadian rhythm, which gives signals to your body to feel alert during the day and sleepy at night. Also, waking up and going to bed at the same time each day helps you to keep up with your regular schedule.
3. Switch off the lights- Your circadian rhythm may be affected by light. Darkness promotes feeling of sleepiness. Irregular exposure to light may cause disruption in your sleep. You can also wear sleep masks, while you sleep for complete darkness.
4. Listen to relaxing music- Music can turn out to be your rescue to insomnia. As music can significantly improve quality of sleep. A research suggested that sedative music promotes deeper sleep. You can also try listening to Buddhist chants used for meditation or some soothing song to fall asleep faster.
5. Avoid screen time- Watching TV, playing video games, using mobile phone can make it difficult to get enough sleep. The blue light emitted from these devices suppresses melatonin, which is a hormone regulating your sleep cycle. It’s better if you disconnect all your electronics to ensure good sleep.
6. Avoid caffeine- This is a well known fact that caffeine stimulates wakefulness and can disrupt your sleep patterns. Avoid consuming caffeine for at least 4 hours before going to bed. Instead, drink soothing tea like chamomile tea as it promotes sleep and relaxation.