Ever wondered what the fuss is about with these protein supplements? Why does your gym trainer insist on you taking it? Well, they play a vital role in muscle growth and body building.
Protein is one of the best forms of nutrition. And your body needs protein for good physical and mental health. In your regular diet, you don’t get enough amount of protein, which is required to maintain good muscle health. Here, is where whey protein comes into scene. It is the most famous supplement.
Whey protein is a powder form of protein taken from whey, which is the liquid left over when cheese is made from cow’s milk. It is taken to increase protein in your diet.
Let’s now look at some of the benefits whey protein has-
- Muscle growth
- Weight management
- Adds nutrition
- Recovery after exercise
- Healthy skin
1. Muscle growth- Whey is rich in leucine, which is most growth promoting amino acid type. It helps in muscle building tissue and muscle mass quickly and efficiently. Some study had shown that it can improve muscle size and strength in healthy adults performing resistance exercise training.
2. Weight management- Whey protein is more satiating than fat and carbohydrates. It reduces your hunger and makes you feel fuller for long time. This results in eating in smaller portion sizes and less frequent snacking, which helps you in maintaining a healthy weight or lose weight if necessary.
3. Adds nutrition- If your daily diet does not fulfill your protein requirement, whey protein is a healthy alternative for you. It has high nutritional value and is highly digestible. It is possibly the best source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Athletes, older adults, weight lifters are often advised to exceed their general protein intake to avoid chronic illness.
4. Recovery after exercise- Not only muscle growth but it also helps in muscle and tissue repair. It speeds up recovery process from muscle soreness after exercise. It can also improve muscle performance and muscle protein synthesis. It is also helpful in increasing recovery of wounds or other ailments.
5. Healthy skin- Protein plays an important role in generating healthy looking skin. People with protein deficiency often have skin that sags faster than normal. Whey protein contains collagen and amino acids which helps in maintaining skin elasticity and firmness. It makes your skin more plump and combats slackness.