Stress has now become a common occurrence in practically in almost everyone’s life. Stress can range from annoyance like traffic jams to more serious worries. And we can’t avoid all sources of stress, but what we can do is perform some stress relieving techniques which can help you in reducing chances of heart diseases, anxiety and depression. It will eventually assist you in living a healthy and happy life.
Some of the relaxation techniques are discussed below-
- Breath Focus
- Body Scan
- Guided Imagery
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Yoga, Tai chi and Qigong
1. Breath Focus- It is the simplest of all. Sit or lie down in a quiet area, inhale deeply through your nose, and exhale gently through your mouth or nose, whatever fits you best. This breathing exercise helps you calm you mind and disengage your mind from distracting thoughts and sensation.
2. Body Scan- This technique focuses on slowly tightening and relaxing your muscle group. Sit or lie down, now close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Focus on any one part of your body and mentally release any physical tension you feel there. This enhances your mind-body connection.
3. Guided Imagery- In this technique, you have to visualize any soothing scene, place or experience in your mind to help you relax and focus. It can turn out to be a difficult technique for those you, who don’t have powerful imagination skills. This technique uses your mind power to assist you feel relaxed.
4. Mindfulness Meditation- This technique involves meditating in peace and focusing on your breathing and present moment without thinking about your past or future. It is helpful for persons who suffer from anxiety and depression. It also promotes your body awareness.
5. Yoga, Tai chi and Qigong- These three combine rhythmic breathing with a series of posture or flowing movements. The physical side of these aids mental focus and helps to divert your attention away from racing thoughts. They also enhance your body flexibility and balance.